Wilfred E Mansur, Photo Provided by and available at Bangor Public Library, photographer unknown
Wilfred Everett Mansur (born 1855) was a prolific Bangor architect in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. He began his career in the early 1880's and designed numerous private, commercial, and public buildings in the Bangor area, as well as Aroostook County. Further, he was the architect for public schools all throughout the state of Maine.
Of interest is the fact that Mansur was chosen to design the 1883 Queen Anne – style hotel, known as the Summit House or Green Mountain House, that was the first substantial structure atop Cadillac Mountain, then known as Green Mountain. The Summit House was a place for visitors who ventured to the top of the mountain using the Green Mountain Railway. Mansur also designed the larger replacement in 1885 after the first Summit House burned. Unfortunately, this building no longer exists as it was razed in 1896 after the Green Mountain Railway went bankrupt. (See Images of America: Revisiting Seal Harbor and Acadia National Park by Lydia Vandenbergh and Earle G. Shettleworth Jr., published by Arcadia Publishing, 2002, pages 23 – 24.)
W.E. Mansur was commended by the Maine State Board of Health in its 1892 report for overcoming the “difficult task” of properly lighting the large room on the second floor of the new Houlton school. (pp. 379, 381) In 1899, several of his buildings were featured in the book, The City of Bangor: The Industries, Resources, Attractions and Business Life of Bangor and its Environs. Soon after, in 1901, he was elected to the American Institute of Architects. (Obituary, Journal of the American Institute of Architects, Volume 9, p. 187) Additionally, he was a member of the Boston Society of Architects and one-time president of the Maine Society of Architects.
Mansur was also involved in numerous local fraternities, lodges, and clubs which were not directly related to architecture. He was considered a prominent and exemplary Bangor citizen at the time of his death in 1921. His complete obituary can be found in the February 28, 1921, Bangor Daily News, p. 3.